- Hey! I'm Shannon. I live in Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex with my husband, Steve. Expect to see a lot of pictures and posts about our adventures, our dogs, family, photography, crafting, politics, vegetarianism, and animal rights. To find the long version click here.
All content © Shannon Harrington. You cannot publish, copy, edit, sell, trade or distribute without prior authorization.
Category Archives: dogs
The good parts: Gas was $2.99 that week! But we do live in Texas so we get to pay cheaper gas prices than the rest of the country. And that Epiphanie Lyric even snuck its way into this layout too (i think its in the next 2 to be honest!).
The middle parts: I was gearing up to head to Ohio and working my butt off to get things ready at work for my departure so a camera wasn’t always in hand and I didn’t want to take pictures with life being so frantic.
The bad parts: Steve and I also weren’t feeling well so we spent some time together snuggled up on the couch watching movies. Somehow a few super depressing documentaries (Hello, Gasland and HBO’s One Nation Under Dog) snuck in there. I cried at the end of Gasland and I didn’t even watch Dogs but read about it and I am still tortured by it. Its depressing but they are extremely education (and unbiased politcally!) And I think people need to really know whats happening out there, even if its hard to watch. ! And Please fight fracking and spay/neuter your dogs (and cats!).
This next part is going to get real folks. Its heavy. Please do not continue to read if at all you believe you should not given the previous paragraph. When I see or hear about the horrors that happen to animals in our country and across the globe at human hands I get sick, I get depressed, and I literally spend hours at a time thinking, researching, and ruminating about what I saw or read to get it out of my system. I even read an open letter from a man that worked at a shelter, who had to put dogs down, to the rest of the world. It really opened my eyes to how horrible “dogs being put down” is. It literally breaks my heart. I’m crying while just writing about it. Please adopt rescue animals and please please please do not chose to bring an animal into your family unless you can financially afford it. Animals have to eat and go to the doctor too. And if you do bring a pet into your home and at some point you have to part ways, please do your research, bring the animal to a no kill shelter or a breed specific rescue. Most of the animals in kill shelters 3 days before they are euthanized. And for the love of all things good in this world do not drop the animal in a park or near a body of water thinking that someone will pick them up and do your dirty work for you. Because believe me, people like me, the people who chase loose dogs and rescue injured animals are out there, but we are few and far between right now. So please, consider a few things before you adopt an animal. Consider your financial power, your living arrangement, if you’re going to have kids in the next couple of years, and whether you’re going to decide to move across the country in the next 10 years. Because all of these big life changes will involve this animal and are some of the top reasons people bring good, healthy animals to shelters.
Thanks for reading, guys. Even when its a little depressing…
As I said in the List(less) Wednesday post yesterday, I have been experiencing some major detox symptoms over the last few days and by the end of the work day I can barely stand to look at my phone to set an alarm for the next morning let alone edit photos and post them. But I am finally starting to feel a little better and now I am here with another update. We are slowly chugging along here!
This is back from the middle of June when my Epiphanie Lyric arrived! I love that bag, although it did get a little scuffed while traveling with it for the 4th of July which makes me so sad, but it is a wonderful bag. As you can tell I was extremely excited by it because there are tons of pictures in it through out this layout. The bottom corner on the first page of the layout is what I usually carry in my camera bag. I am actually putting together a post to better explain my camera bags (4 of them!) and what I carry in them. I also received my Speedlite that week. I love that thing. Don’t get me wrong I love natural light photography and for a long time was a hardcore (beginner) natural light only picture taker. But there is definitely a time and a place (like a house in Texas with black out curtains in the bedroom and vaulted ceiling leaving virtually no natural light in the entire house). I am still working out the kinks with it and will hopefully download the manual this weekend to get a better feel for it. No insert this week. Just a nice simple layout to round out this week. Enjoy!
1. So much came together in terms of planning for the next 6-8 months over the weekend, I cannot believe it. Its been a rush and I have been super busy scouring ebay and cussing people out for out bidding me at literally the last second. I even pulled off the highway after work today to bid on an item (responsibility, first people!) and my silly Iphone refused to update and I lost FOUR items in a 5 minute period. Sheesh.
2. I am playing around with a business model at the moment. I am looking into opening a shop, with a wide range of items. But its in the primary stages (aka in my mind) I’m still rolling it around my brain deciding if it would be a worth it endeavor. Stay tuned for details!
3. Holy migraines this week! I finally cut out ALL meat and got back to my healthy vegetarian diet, not my chips and soda vegetarian diet. I was still sneaking pepperoni (I know the worst meat ever) on my pizza, but this week that ended. I am detoxing all over the place. In the morning I make Steve and I our super packed shake (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, spinach, kale, amazing grass ORAC super foods powder, EFA omega 3,6,9, Spirulina, and local honey. Phew!) and then I take an almond butter sammy and green juice (cucumber, kale, spinach, romaine, 1 apple) to work and then I let myself have whatever we have for dinner, although this week I have been trying to stick to healthier options. My boss even gave me $10 to Starbucks and I have yet to touch it :)
4. I have been a (mostly) vegetarian, vegetarian for a year. I wish I could say I was rail thin and just loving life but I’ve honestly gained more weight because it was so easy to eat Pizza and Mac and Cheese than to truly commit to a true healthy life style. Eating healthy is getting easier now that I am making time for it (getting up earlier!) but it is still a work in progress.
5. I starting my “4th” year of memory keeping. This will be the first year that I am going to be keeping the memories as we make them and this is such a good year to start! I am caught up to date (I made traditional scrapbooks for the first 2 years that Steve and I were together and then I started project life with year 3 but I started this past March so I had to work backwards from March to the previous August and to be honest I hate that part of my PL album. Its not weekly and I was not all that wonderful about taking pictures all the time and we live a pretty boring, hot, sweaty life here in Texas. So there wasn’t much to fill that part but the album is still some how THICK. It was a perfect time to start year 4 because year 3 is busting out of the seems!
I told you the pictures would get better! This is back from June, back when Steve and I did our juice fast – which seems like ages ago! You can read about the whole process here. Pretty simple, pictures + bits put into pockets, some embellishments – into the book this week went. Enjoy!
Whew! I can’t believe how far behind I am on updates. Lately I’ve been printing my images and stuffing them in the pockets and leaving all the embellishing/journaling for later. Last night I sat down on the floor, as many of you saw if you follow me on instagram or twitter, and really stuck it to the PL binder. This week was so long ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday. This was the week I decided to sell my XS and Steve decided to start selling his guitars. We have definitely had some interesting experiences with Ebay and Craigslist over the last couple of weeks. I am also practicing on getting better pictures of my layouts. I know these still aren’t “great” but over the next couple of days I will be sharing all of the weeks that I am missing and by July 7-14th the images are superb :)
This week – technique wise – was pretty easy. Print, stuff, slight embellishment, BAM done! I printed these images at home on my Canon Selphy CP800 Printer, the big blue tag is from Paper Source, the Paper is from Amy Tangerine’s Sketchbook line, and all of the washi is from Freckled Fawn. Enjoy!